Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fairs and Festivals

Any of you who know me know that I am a transplant to the Marysville/Marshall County area. I am originally from Wabaunsee County down to the south. Not much used to go on in Wabaunsee County, and the small little town of Alma where I was born and raised (pop. about 850). Oh, sure, we were pretty much smack dab in the middle of Topeka and Manhattan as far as geography goes. This can be a real blessing, but also a curse, too, to some extent. Most people worked out of town, so they did their shopping out of town, and so on. But, then, too, there were things to do in those cities in the spare time.

Wabaunsee County's 4-H Fair was located in Alma, usually the end of July/beginning of August. That fair is suffering for activities, participation and attendance just like anyone else. They never did have a carnival or rides. When I was a youth, very little else went on in the community so far as festivals at other times of the year. That has changed somewhat; they now have some community organizers who have established some annual events.

It prompts me to really stand up and applaud the communities in Marshall and Washington Counties (as well as other surrounding counties). I have always been impressed since my move to the area the amount of festivals that the communities have, especially at this time of the year. Last weekend I believe Axtell had their Harvest Fest; Summerfield had theirs several weeks back; Beattie Milo Fest is this weekend; later this month the Hollenberg Festival; and in September Washington County has a Fall Festival; Palmer Fun Day; and the Linn Picnic was recently as well. I'm sure I'm missing listing some here, and in a sense that's kind of neat, too., that there are too many to list! :) These events and festivals take a lot of organization, follow through, volunteer time, and leadership.

Because I live in Marysville, I would love to see Marysville to once again be able to resurrect some type of fall festival. I arrived on the scene after the Germanfest ended, but I've heard great stories. The Mother's Day Weekend Flea Market is wonderful; the Car Show during the summer is a great tradition that has established itself over the years, and I hope the 4th of July events can just continue to grow each year. There's something, however, about a festival in the Fall, especially when it starts to cool off, the leaves are starting to turn lovely shades of oranges, yellows, and reds. It will take some leadership to step up and take the organizational helm again. Any takers?



No comments: