Friday, August 22, 2008

New School Year

School has been back in session in Marysville and other Marshall County schools for a week now. Some of the surrounding out of county schools started a little bit later, but I think all of the Kansas schools at least have now started. I'm not sure when Nebraska schools started.

The start of school was always an exciting time for me. But, I'm an odd one....I LOVED school...still do. I always said that I thought I could be a professional student. A college catalog came in the mail the other night, and I looked through it to see if there might be anything to take "just for fun."

A neighbor to the southwest, a fellow NCKL school to Marysville, suffered an enormous loss this summer. As I am sure you are aware, Chapman suffered from the effects of a tornado that ripped through its community in June, nearly destroying each of the school district's buildings (elementary, high school and district office). (It was as if the tornado had a thing against school!) As following any devastating event, there was a lot of speculation...what would happen? Would people return to the town of Chapman to rebuild? Would there even be a school? Would there be consolidation?

Chapman school superintendent Tony Frieze (and all others involved) should be applauded for the resolve because this past Monday school resumed in Chapman, with enrollment steady from previous year, if not increased.

Kudos to the Chapman community and to the school district for picking themselves up and working hard.

~Lesa
Your KNDY Blogger

No comments: